The Amihan Collection was inspired by the Philippine mythology of Amihan and the origins of the first Filipinos, Malakas and Maganda.
The Amihan Collection is our way of bringing to life the legend of Amihan—that like an eagle, we must fly. Filipinos can and will soar to great heights to achieve what was once thought to be impossible. With heart, we persevere through the obstacles and hardships we face in life. We emerge stronger, braver, and more resilient. We are Filipinos. We are empowered.
With this limited-edition collection, KAYAKO releases its first men's watch with the same goal of empowerment. The Amihan Collection is also our first His and Her watch collection, a physical reminder of the strength and bravery found in the hearts of Filipinos.
According to folklore, Amihan, who is depicted as a genderless bird and often represented by a golden eagle, is the first creature to inhabit the universe alongside the gods called Bathala (Langit; Sky) and Aman Sinaya (Dagat; Sea).
Bathala and Aman Sinaya often conflicted in their rivalry over the earth. As the legend goes, Bathala thew rocks from mountains at Aman Sinaya, forming the islands of the Philippines.
Amihan, the god of wind, intervened as the peacemaker and the two gods made amends. As a peace offering, Bathala planted a seed on the ocean floor that grew into a bamboo reed, from which the first Filipinos, Malakas and Maganda, emerged from with the aid of Ahiman.
With our advocacy rooted in our brand and core values, the Malakas watch is designed with elements not only to commemorate and symbolize the often-forgotten mythological legend of Amihan but also to recognize and empower Filipinos for their strength, courage, and resilience.
There are not many stories about Malakas. However, we believe that every Filipino has a story of empowerment—that each one of us are Malakas in our unique way.
Malakas Watch Elements
- Color Accents – The blue, red, white, and yellow accents are symbolic of the Philippine flag colors.
- Sun – as seen on the Philippine flag
- Eagle (case back) – represents Amihan, a genderless bird foretold in Philippine mythology and folklore, the inspiration behind the collection
- Alibata engraving – spells out "Malakas" in the traditional script of the Philippines
- Okir style – traditional Filipino artistic style
- Case: All Stainless Steel 316L (45mm)
- Water Resistant: 100 Meter / 300 Feet (10ATM)
- Case back: All Stainless-Steel Etched Image of Amihan (Okir Design)
- Movement: TMI Movement / Seiko
- Movement Type: Quartz
- Caliber Number: VD77
- and Material: Horween Chromexcel American Leather and Corduro Nylon with
- Nubuck Lining
- Band Size: 22mm to 20mm
- Strap: Quick-release Interchangeable Strap (No tools required)
- Glass: Mineral Glass